Austin, TX asked in Family Law and Child Support for Texas

Q: The Decree specifies, my ex-wife is supposed to provide med. insurance for our kids. Now she cant afford it. Options?

During our child support modification court appearance, my ex-wife pushed for control of the insurance with me paying her half of the premium. Now she says she can't afford it. We have two children-One (15 yrs old) live with me and the other (10 yrs old) with her, therefore there is no support provided. I know by law the children are to have insurance and I do not mind, however, considering the extent she went to get this and now backing out, I believe there needs to be something, from a legal basis, to be done.Since she pushed for this and now can't do it, what action(s) should I take?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert W. Leonard Jr.
Robert W. Leonard Jr.
  • Fort Worth, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You can enforce the order. If it says she is to provide insurance, she has to do so. Sometimes it will say if she does not provide the insurance, you provide it and she has to pay for it. Contact your attorney to see exactly what your order says and what your options are. You do want to make sure the children are covered, because that is the most important thing.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.