Gig Harbor, WA asked in Criminal Law for Washington

Q: How to restore my rights to bear arms from a non gun affiliated felony conviction back in 1997. I was told after 7 years

It was a first time offender waiver for theft 1 and cultivation of controlled substance. The court told me then I could after 7 years.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jennifer Melissa Azure
Jennifer Melissa Azure
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Kennewick, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: You can petition the court to restore your firearm rights if you have successfully completed all of the conditions of your sentence, have been free of criminal convictions for five or more years (since this was a felony), not currently charged with any felony or misdemeanor charge and have never been convicted or found guilty but insane of any of the following: sex offense prohibiting firearm possession, an A felony or crime with a maximum sentence of at least twenty years. Depending upon those other factors, you may be eligible to restore your rights. In order to determine this, you should contact an attorney either in your jurisdiction or the jurisdiction in which you were convicted to discuss your options and the process. Best of luck to you!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.