Bismarck, ND asked in Criminal Law for North Dakota

Q: If your first offense ever was a check fraud what would the minimum sentencing be?

It was over a $1000

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • St. Louis Park, MN
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: As an attorney who practices criminal defense throughout North Dakota, I would first caution you not to share information about the crime being alleged. In this particular case, you should seriously consider retaining an attorney as the prosecution will not care that this is your first offense. The minimum sentence is only applied if you plead guilty or are convicted. You should not assume that you will be found guilty as most cases result in a plea deal (which is more likely to fall on your side with a lawyer representing you). With that being said, you should not assume that the minimum sentence will be applied in your case. In the majority of cases, you will receive a penalty much harsher than the minimum sentence. Unfortunately, I cannot answer your question directly because I do not have your charging documents in my possession and cannot see the actual crime with which you have been charged. Check forgery can be a Class B Felony (10 years, $20,000), Class C Felony (5 years, $10,000) or a Class A Misdemeanor (360 days, $3,000). The maximum and minimum penalties you face will depend on the crime alleged and whether other charges apply (they often do).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.