Fargo, ND asked in Child Custody and Child Support for North Dakota

Q: How do you get the court to drop child support when you didn't know the child was yours? Cause the mother lied

I believe it's unfair to the father. The mother didn't know who the father was but now the state coming after you for child support and you didn't even know

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Lucas Wynne

  • St. Louis Park, MN
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: You have a paternity test done.

Nicholas Nelson

  • Wahpeton, ND
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: In general, a child support order may be modified periodically. The court may consider whether another person has acted in a parental role and held out the child as his own. If would also be relevant what the child's age was when you were made aware of the child and that it is yours. Challenging child support is particularly challenging, and you should retain at attorney to handle the matter. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.