Apopka, FL asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Florida

Q: Can I the father take my kids with out the mother's knowledge or consent?

I just got information that my children are not being well taken care of and that CPS is already involved. If I have a friend that can get them away from the mother is it illegal for me to go and get my children with out her knowledge or consent? My name is on both birth certificates.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lee N Feinberg
Lee N Feinberg
  • Bonita Springs, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Generally, I would say, "No" as it appears that you were never married. However, if there is a court order indicating your rights, you may be able to do something. With an order you may be able to get in on an emergency basis. If you were never married and a court never established your rights as a father, you would have a problem.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.