Honolulu, HI asked in Car Accidents, Criminal Law and Small Claims for Hawaii

Q: Hit a pedestrian with car. Police say it’s her fault. My car is wrecked. Can I take legal action for my car?

This happened in Hawaii. A pedestrian was under the influence of drugs and walking in the middle of the highway at night. I hit her with my car. The police report states that I am not at fault. She was injured and taken to the hospital. My insurance will pay her medical, because that’s what’s required in hawaii. I was not injured. My insurance will also cover my car. It paid the bank the rest of what I owed on my loan. Now I’m stuck with no car and no money for a new one because of someone’s poor choices.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: You can only go after her for the value of the vehicle. Presumably that was the collision that paid off the loan. If she had insurance that's all you can go after her for. Realistically, if she was on drugs in the middle of the road, do you think she will have money to pay for any judgment you get?

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.