Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Hawaii Criminal Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Hawaii on
Q: Am i required to take a UA because I am on supervise release even though i havent been sentenced or charged yet?

I was released on supervise release and part of my terms and conditions is to call a number and if my color is called i need to go in a give them a Urine sample. If i havnt actually been sentence for the crime yet can they really tell me i need to do a UA?

Even if they have no reason to... Read more »

Michael Fayard
Michael Fayard answered on Jan 25, 2020

Unfortunately, yes. You can be required to provide a UA if it is part of your pre-trial release. Generally, it is mandatory if the court ordered it. Sometimes a motion can be filed to change the terms and conditions of the pre-trial release, but you would need a good reason to drop the potential... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Hawaii on
Q: I filed a police report for Unauthorized computer access, because perpetrators were hacking onto my security cameras.

The Detective said there was a cliche with my system. We contacted tech support and they said it's not a cliche. Due to an increase in hacking of our system we filed a 2nd report. Without contacting us and only looking at the evidence we summited in our report. The investigator has concluded... Read more »

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Nov 14, 2019

glitch not cliche

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Immigration Law for Hawaii on
Q: My brother was deported to the Philippines due to criminal activity. Can he come to Hawaii for our older brother funeral

Youngest brother was not a U.S. citizen and he was in a Federal Prison for less than a year prior to his deportation.

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Sep 26, 2019

He would need permission from the federal government. You can apply

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Hawaii on
Q: In Hawaii district criminal court the AUSA failed to turn over discovery until after Motions deadline...can it be suppre
Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Apr 9, 2019

I will not second guess your lawyer. Ask your lawyer

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Criminal Law for Hawaii on
Q: Can the police enter a hotel room and use things found there against me and ubtain search warrants for vehicles I drive
Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Feb 25, 2019

Without knowing the particulars of your case, the answer is generally yes

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Hawaii on
Q: Wrongful foreclosure.excessive force by sheriff's. Should I take a plea?

Should I settle on degree assault? I was in a choke hold(100lbs) by a 300lb sheriff ..was trying to breath..said I kicked him and being charged w/ 1st degree assault

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Sep 30, 2018

There is no way an internet attorney could advise you based on those limited facts.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Personal Injury for Hawaii on
Q: What can I do if someone harasses me through text messages?

I am a student here at BYU Hawaii, and have received a message ..I do not know how they got my number.

Lauren M. Sharon
Lauren M. Sharon answered on Jun 7, 2018

Depending on what was said and your relationship with the person, you might want to make a police report so that incident can be documented and the police can explore the possibility of pressing charges. If it continues, or if you feel that your safety and property if threatened by the messages,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Hawaii on
Q: Adopted daughter is 16 now. We got her at 14. Previously PTSD, child molestation, reactive attachment disorder issue.

Daughter now claims I sexually molested her. She is currently in the Philippines for a year. What is the civil and criminal statute of limitations in Hawaii to bring this false accusation on me? I looked it up. Could I be charged with 1st degree sexual assault, a Class A felony? I am contemplating... Read more »

Lauren M. Sharon
Lauren M. Sharon answered on Jun 7, 2018

I would suggest having a full, thorough consultation with an attorney, as I am unclear as to the details.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Hawaii on
Q: If I Recieve Messages From Someone Who Says He Will Kill Me if Im Around His Child Is That A Form Of Blackmail?

He Doesn't Have Custody Of The Child But I Come By To Visit The Mother Of The Kid, and He Feels As If Im Taking The Kid Away. He Started Sending Threats And Talking About My Family. Is That Black Mailing?

Lauren M. Sharon
Lauren M. Sharon answered on Jun 7, 2018

I think you need to clarify your question. I’m unsure what your asking.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime and Criminal Law for Hawaii on
Q: If a boat is legally anchored and hotel employees demand you leave and then force a boarding can you shoot them?

In Hawaii, coastal ocean waters and beaches are owned by the state. If a boat is legally anchored in a state owned harbor off the coast of a popular beach that has a major hotel nearby, and hotel employees come down to the waters edge on the beach and try to scare you away with a megaphone, then... Read more »

Gordon Charles Webb
Gordon Charles Webb answered on Apr 2, 2018

No!! Do yourself a favor and call the police, harbor patrol and coast guard before resorting to unreasonable force to protect personal property.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Hawaii on
Q: released from jail yesterday for a dirty ua on hope an they call my color to go ua again itcomes backdirty. Options?

On hope probation created by judge alms. Went in for a dirty ua that I admitted to did my 4 days in jail got out an they called my color again an my ua again came back dirty should I contest the ua on grounds of not enough time for the drug to detox through my system?

Mark Simonds
Mark Simonds answered on Mar 24, 2018

It depends. If your use was marijuana, the active chemical compound (tetrahydrocannabinol, otherwise referred to as THC) can take up to 30 days to completely leave the body. Other drugs can metabolize much quicker. I’m a lawyer, not a chemist, so you may wish to conduct some research on the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Hawaii on
Q: if you have multiple charges for the same crime, how is the sentence handled

say you have 20 charges of money laundering and the sentence is 5 years, are you serving five years or do you receive 100-year sentence?

Mark Simonds
Mark Simonds answered on Mar 22, 2018

It depends. Prison sentences can run consecutively, which means they may be ordered at sentencing to run one after the other (your “100 year” scenario) or concurrently, which means they all run together (your “5 year” scenario).

If a sentence of probation is ordered, it is only...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Hawaii on
Q: What does a free standing order mean for restitution
Mark Simonds
Mark Simonds answered on Mar 21, 2018

A free-standing order of restitution is an order for restitution which can stand on its own, apart from the criminal case it is connected to. What this means is that the person to whom restitution is owed (the “victim” of the crime) may enforce this order against the defendant in the same way... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Criminal Law and Small Claims for Hawaii on
Q: Hit a pedestrian with car. Police say it’s her fault. My car is wrecked. Can I take legal action for my car?

This happened in Hawaii. A pedestrian was under the influence of drugs and walking in the middle of the highway at night. I hit her with my car. The police report states that I am not at fault. She was injured and taken to the hospital. My insurance will pay her medical, because that’s what’s... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Dec 26, 2017

You can only go after her for the value of the vehicle. Presumably that was the collision that paid off the loan. If she had insurance that's all you can go after her for. Realistically, if she was on drugs in the middle of the road, do you think she will have money to pay for any judgment you get?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Hawaii on
Q: Can a defendant have a public defender and a private attorney on record at the same time after sentencing?

Defendant was sentenced to consecutive terms on 3 counts, (5 years, 5 years and 1 year). Motion to Reconsider denied. Public Defender was unresponsive for more than 2 years, family retained private counsel. Both defense counsel's filed "Stipulations,15 days apart. Information provided to... Read more »

Barry Lloyd Sooalo
Barry Lloyd Sooalo answered on May 9, 2017

Short answer: yes. This can occur. The defendant would have to be indigent to have a PD. Private counsel would be there as a volunteer or pro bono and both counsel would have to consent to the dual counsel arrangement, as well as the client. Not an ideal way to proceed, but under that scenario,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Hawaii on
Q: Can someone that is pretrial in Hawaii for Terroristic Threatening get out on conditional release or Rel on Recog?

Defendant allowed a young homeless couple to stay in her home. The couple ended up being bad news. As the defendant was asking them to leave multiple times they refused. The couple then called the police stating that the defendant female 155lbs 5'5 threatened them. A male 5'10 200+ lbs and female... Read more »

Barry Lloyd Sooalo
Barry Lloyd Sooalo answered on May 9, 2017

The answer to your question is yes, the Defendant can be released on Supervised Release on the facts you presented, provided, Defendant's record is limited to this arrest only and is not loaded with multiple arrests for similar conduct or charges.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Hawaii on
Q: If someone is being convicted for drug charges class A B & C and it is the first time what are chance of no prison time?

Can a dagp be used to keep out of doing prison time and only probation in drug convictions?

What can be done to avoid a possible open 10 year sentence for drug charges?

Barry Lloyd Sooalo
Barry Lloyd Sooalo answered on May 9, 2017

Whether you are sentenced to prison or not will depend on too many factors to discuss in this forum. Your past criminal history, if any, is relevant to the Court's inquiry. Selling drugs v using drugs is also relevant to this issue. Conduct since arrest is also relevant. Fortunately for you,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Hawaii on
Q: status of 20 yr.old charge terroristic threatening?can i change the wording of charge to regain access on navy base

HRS 831-3.1

Barry Lloyd Sooalo
Barry Lloyd Sooalo answered on May 9, 2017

There are two ways to possibly change the TT conviction from a TT conviction to possibly something else. There might be other ways, but my experience tells me there are two proven methods for doing what you seek to have done. Feel free to contact my office for a further consultation regarding... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Real Estate Law and Probate for Hawaii on
Q: My dad pass away 2 years ago in his house in Hawaii with my stepmother. The house is already paid off. They have a will

And my dad still have living siblings. Also I would like to open a case for my dad. Need your help.

Richard Samuel Price
Richard Samuel Price answered on Jan 13, 2017

If your dad lived in Hawaii when he passed, then a probate action would be brought in Hawaii. You may want to repost your question under Hawaii.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Hawaii on
Q: I have heard that if I am pulled over for a suspected DWI I can refuse a breathalyzer test. Is this true?
Stephen Bilkis
Stephen Bilkis answered on Jun 11, 2016

You do have a right to refuse a breathalyzer test, but the question is whether it is worth your while. By refusing the test, you can wind up being charged with your refusal (even if you are found not guilty for the DWI).

This is because when you obtained your license, you automatically...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.