Trenton, OH asked in Child Custody, Family Law, Education Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio

Q: If my ex and I were never married and never went to court and I alone have custody how can I get them back.

When we split up I continued to allow him to keep them Mon through Friday for school. My situation was unsure of at that time I financially supported him all kids plus my two sisters for months then after he got a job I continued to financially support him and Kids with what ever he needed when I lost my job and my home he told me I could not longer see or speak to them. It has been months the police won't help and I am so torn I know my living situation is not best for my children but does that mean I am forced to just wait.... I do not own home or established a job yet I recently deliver a child and haven't been able to do much without transportation. What are my options don't I at least deserve to be able to have a conversation with them one the phone. He enrolled my daughter at school where he lives and my sons school doesn't have me listed on anything how can he do this without established paternity?

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: He can do a lot if the school and others don't bother to check, and if you don't take any legal action. Are they listed on his health insurance? Contact the police and show them the birth certificates and ask them for their help in getting the children back or call children's services. If they won't get involved, then use the Find a Lawyer tab and retain a local family law attorney to advise you about regaining the children and filing for child support. But if your living situation is not stable, then the court might award him parental rights and allow them to stay with him.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.