Merced, CA asked in Family Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Child Custody for California

Q: What can I do if my ex won't communicate and keeps my son from me for weeks, sometimes months at a time?

I'm not his biological parent, but I have been in the picture since 3 months into my ex's pregnancy. I've been there in every way as a parent for everything, including being sole provider to both him and my ex. I was mislead about everything to do with the birth certificate and my name being on it as the other parent, which didn't matter until we broke up. Only documents I really have are tax records each year i claimed him as my dependant since he was born. And documents from previous employer showing my son and my ex as life insurance beneficiaries, etc. All in all not a whole lot unless personal and professional witnesses willing to make statements verifying what I say is true, count. I just want what I feel I deserve as his parent, that's all.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tobie Brina Waxman
Tobie Brina Waxman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Culver City, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: File a petition for custody and visitation orders as the presumed parent or file a parentage action and concurrently file a request for order for temporary custody and visitation orders.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.