Minneapolis, MN asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Municipal Law for Indiana

Q: East side of Indianapolis,IN. Police refuse to charge or arrest. Can i demand the police to perform a citizens arrest?

Live on East side guetto of Indy but my husband i are proffesionals with no criminal record. Proud gun owners with license to carry. Earlier this year a guy(age 24) and 2 kids broke into the 3rd house down from mine. I witnessed the crime. Reported it. They came out and spoke to the 3 criminals and took a witness statement from my neighbor and I who both witnessed the crime. The 24 yr old ended up admitting to the crime because it was a pastors house they robbed. I went to court for the crime to do the witness deposition for all 3 of them, ect. They have all been convicted. But every time I have a problem we call the police and they say they can't do anything if they didn't see it. Feloney and misdemeanor alike. We have she security system. They said even if we show them it doesn't matter.

If I have video proof or willing to make a sworn statement in writing and probable cause can I force an officer to make a citizens arrest for me to avoid potential prob such as using force myself

1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew L. Bennett
Andrew L. Bennett
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Your options are to ask to speak to the supervisors of the officers or the chief of police. Another option would be to contact the prosecutors office and schedule an appointment to speak with a prosecutor. Have you also contacted the local media?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.