Greeley, CO asked in Small Claims and Employment Law for Colorado

Q: what is my legal stance on getting my final check from past employer who refuses to pay.

Past employer refuses to pay final check. Check is also missing correct overtime and commissions. claiming the check is going towards a minor fender bender I was apart of months prior in company truck on the clock. I exchanged insurance information and continued working, after I started a new job and it came time to pay my final check they refused because they didnt want to file insurance claim but instead pay out of pocket, with my money. This is months down the road as well. I had multiple checks in between these incidences. Saying I didnt follow company policy which holds my liable. I want to know if its worth going to small claims over is it something I can handle myself or should I seek representation? the claim would be for around 2200 depending on fees.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adam Kielich
Adam Kielich
  • Bedford, TX

A: In Colorado you can either file a lawsuit or file a wage claim with the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment. Which is the better option for you is impossible to say without knowing more facts about your situation. You should talk to an employment attorney in Colorado. In some cases you can recover attorney's fees on unpaid wage claims.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.