Dickinson, ND asked in Child Support for North Dakota

Q: I have 2 children one is not my ex husbands does it effect child support?

I have 2 children one of them is my ex husbands, the second was born while i was still married but is not his, can i be denied child support for my oldest who is his because my 2nd child isnt his but the state is saying my 2nd is his because i was still married even though ive expressed shes not. Can they only do child support on both children and not one?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nicholas Nelson
Nicholas Nelson
  • Wahpeton, ND
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: Each minor child is entitled to child support. Generally, whether you were married when the child is born is merely a factor for the court to consider. The court will also consider whether a person other than the paternal father held out the child as his own child and acted in the capacity as father. Child support can be particularly difficult when dealing with more than one father coupled with a divorce - you should seek a licensed attorney to assist you in this matter. Good luck to you!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.