Denver, CO asked in Consumer Law, Car Accidents and Wrongful Death for Colorado

Q: Can I get a car manufacturer to immediately repurchase a vehicle for a critical safety defect?

At 6.5 mo/6762 miles, while driving 79-80 mph (in a 75 zone), without warning it did the following:

Loud sound under hood

Engine stopped

Electrical system shut down, inc. dash/audio

Rapid deceleration (engine braking, still in drive)

Power steering/braking inactive

Dealer has had in shop for 2 days and can't find any indication of a fault or reproduce the issue, and they return vehicles when they can't reproduce a problem and fix it.

Colorado lemon laws require that this defect must lead to 4 service visits or 30 days in the shop within 1 year. Is there no exception to this process for vehicles that impose such high potential risk for crash and fatality? If I have to reproduce this 3 more times, those would be likely since most of my driving is done in rush hour going up to 70 mph with tailgaters.

If the next incident involves a crash/fatality will that be enough to take action?

Any legal ramifications for selling a car with known safety defects?

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: Generally, no. Contact the center for auto safety to see if there have been similar complaints on that model.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.