Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Colorado Wrongful Death Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Probate and Wrongful Death for Colorado on
Q: Do I have any rights here? Is he my husband?

Last year my s/p and I filed taxes together. He recently was killed by a drunk driver. We were together 4 years. I told his mother I already filed taxes for this year which I plan on doing. We were practically married and everyone knew it. He made this huge post on FB claiming me etc. I’m his... Read more »

Rebecca Pescador
Rebecca Pescador
answered on Jan 24, 2023

First, my condolences on your loss. Please make a little time to take care of yourself. You have a lot going on and I'm sure it's more than overwhelming. You'll make it through it. You have to take care of yourself so you can keep your wits about you.

This is a really...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Wrongful Death for Colorado on
Q: Can a parent sue for damages in a wrongful death case to Colorado

Can a parent sue for damages in a wrongful death case in Colorado

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Aug 4, 2021

The spouse has the exclusive right, and if no spouse the parents. Why not call a member of the Colorado Assn for Justice like Franklin Azar a call? They give free consultations. Feel free to use my name.

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI, Real Estate Law, Car Accidents and Wrongful Death for Colorado on
Q: My wages are being garnished due to a criminal/civil lawsuit. If I buy a house, could it be taken from me?

I was convicted of vehicle homicide/DUI in 2008. My friend died and his family sued me for $20 million. My wages are garnished at 25% after taxes.

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
answered on Jan 19, 2021

You need to talk to a competent attorney about asset protection and exemption rights in whatever State you are going to live in. The exact Deed Grantee will be critical, and you need that lawyer to tell you what to do. Sometimes trusts are useful, but probably not here. The lawyer's... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Wrongful Death for Colorado on
Q: I don't believe my lawyer is being honest with me, after the lawsuit with the insurance company is over can I get a

Different lawyer to sue the esate? My son died in a car accident.

Jason Allen
Jason Allen
answered on Nov 20, 2020

It may be possible. However, laws vary by state and much more information is needed to determine what options you can take.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Divorce and Wrongful Death for Colorado on
Q: What is the right way for the parents of the victim to approach County DA to claim murder by her cop husband vs suicide?


Private invest results show suspect to have ended his last three marriages with a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, establishing a modus operandi of using his past wives to bankroll personal improvements in his education, motorcycles, houses...all ending in... Read more »

Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jul 8, 2020

If you believe a crime has been committed, then you should report it to the police.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Wrongful Death for Colorado on
Q: My sister just found her 4 1/2 month old baby unresponsive. Does she have to perform a reenactment for the police?
Brian K. McHugh
Brian K. McHugh
answered on Feb 7, 2020

She does not have perform a re-enactment and she does not have to talk to the police. She should obtain an attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Wrongful Death for Colorado on
Q: Can I get compensation for my neighbor shooting my registered breeding dog in Colorado?

My neighbor runs a feedlot and my young registered breeding dog visited the feedlot and he shot her. He never talked to us before he shot her or asked us to come and get her he just shot her. She never killed any animals and I was training her to stay home but she was only 7 months old and still... Read more »

Kristina M. Bergsten
Kristina M. Bergsten
answered on Oct 29, 2019

Yes you can sue to get your $2,000 back.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Car Accidents and Wrongful Death for Colorado on
Q: Can I get a car manufacturer to immediately repurchase a vehicle for a critical safety defect?

At 6.5 mo/6762 miles, while driving 79-80 mph (in a 75 zone), without warning it did the following:

Loud sound under hood

Engine stopped

Electrical system shut down, inc. dash/audio

Rapid deceleration (engine braking, still in drive)

Power steering/braking... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Jan 4, 2018

Generally, no. Contact the center for auto safety to see if there have been similar complaints on that model.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Wrongful Death and Child Support for Colorado on
Q: What can I do if my child father took him from me and is now trying to get child support. And he won't let see my son

He has another female IN my son's life telling him that she's his mom he took my son IN November and has only let me see him when he feels like it he says I have to talk to her in order to see my son

Stephen J. Plog
Stephen J. Plog
answered on Sep 5, 2017

You need to file a custody case to get orders in place regarding custody and visitation. If there are already orders in place and he's violating them you need to file a motion with the court to enforce those orders. If there are orders in place but they are vague, you may also need to seek... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Wrongful Death for Colorado on
Q: If thc is found in my system after a deadly force encounter, will i be held liable?

I work as an armed security officer in Colorado, im curious if i were to be involved in a deadly force encounter while at work and thc was found in my system, would i be charged with anything?

Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
answered on Apr 28, 2017

Functionally THC is just like alcohol. If an encounter occurs and THC is found in your system it can impact whether the police proceed with criminal charges and you can potentially be sued for civil damages. If the THC level is too high (i.e. making you intoxicated or under the influence) your... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Medical Malpractice and Wrongful Death for Colorado on
Q: My Father died from what I believe was medical negligence. I need to make sense of this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer Ask a Lawyer

Ask a Lawyer

1Review your question

Q: Father died from, what I believe is medical negligence. I need to make sense of this.

My father was a quadripelgic. Whom very recently passed away. He started with a bed sore on both buttocks no... Read more »

Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
answered on Jan 16, 2017

If negligence occurred, the doctor and hospital (if the doctor was on staff) are liable. The issue of whether the treatment was negligent is something that is beyond the scope of Justia's Q&A section. You will need to contact a medical malpractice or personal injury lawyer directly. The... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Wrongful Death for Colorado on
Q: do i have to keep the probate open if all claims have been paid but I am bringing a wrongful death lawsuit?

I filed a wrongful death action as spouse and PR of my husbands estate. All claims have been paid. Can I close probate boot keep the wrongful death action going it is a civil action not probate. I hate probate.

Adam Studnicki
Adam Studnicki
answered on Jul 30, 2015

It may depend on the nature of the claims and the plaintiff's and/or statutory beneficiaries in the wrongful death action. Ask the lawyer you are using in your wrongful death case (and/or your probate lawyer).

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.