Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Colorado Consumer Law Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Copyright and Employment Law for Colorado on

Q: Hello, I want to know if I can create an app that gives people dating advice & helps them update their profiles?

I was wondering if it’s illegal to create an app that gives people dating advice, as well as help people get their online profiles up to date and make them more presentable for the type of person that they’re looking for. I would state that I’m not a therapist or anything like that. But was... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 18, 2019

If you undertake this plan without having the input of at least two lawyers you will probably regret it. This situation is one that brings to mind the ancient warning: "If it looks too good to be true, it probably isn't."

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Contracts for Colorado on

Q: Who is responsible for intentional mechanic fraud. The owner or insurance company

We took a jeep to a mechanic to get it modified. We agreed on price and completion date. We paid him. The completion date was two weeks. Two weeks passed and it wasn't finished and we were never contacted. We contacted them days later. We were given several more completion dates which were not... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 7, 2019

Unless the mechanic has performance liability insurance (very unlikely) you will have to sue the mechanic. Very easy to do; collecting on a judgment later is very hard to do.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Real Estate Law for Colorado on

Q: a borrower has the right to prepay the principle amount in whole or part of without penalty except with consent of note

Holder,who may require compensation for adverse income tax consequences of such early payments. what is a borrower to say or do if note holder ask the borrower for alot of money ?

Donald C Eby answered on Mar 15, 2019

Either the borrower has the right to pre-pay without penalty or he does not. This should be defined in the terms of the Promissory Note. Lender does not have the right to unilaterally change the terms or demand more. If there is no written promissory note - Lender likely does not have the right... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Landlord - Tenant for Colorado on

Q: I am in a lease agreement and the owner has to sell the property. Is my current lease binding if the property sells

Donald C Eby answered on Feb 15, 2019

A change of ownership does not change your rights under the lease.

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law, Personal Injury and Tax Law for Colorado on

Q: How would I go about having a lawyer ready to use in case i every needed one.

D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Nov 24, 2018

It's always better if you can build a professional relationship before the disaster strikes.

My suggestions would be to call them up and talk to them. Sign an agreement. Put down a retainer of an agreed upon amount. If anything happens you have a lawyer retained and they know they'll get...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Contracts for Colorado on

Q: What are the laws in Colorado in regards to "As-is" and "As-is disclosure" ?

Ashley Dean Powell answered on Oct 31, 2018

I suspect that the answer may vary depending on the type of product, type of seller, type of buyer, etc. For example, the standard contract to sell a house in Colorado often has "as is" language in it, but the seller still has certain duties to disclose known defects in the house, systems,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Colorado on

Q: If United airline loss my luggage at international flight and after 10 days they ask me for compensationwhat should I do

Julie Swanberg answered on Sep 24, 2018

This question should not have been posted in the workers compensation category.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Animal / Dog Law for Colorado on

Q: purchased rehoming dog for service dog training dog is lame now and was not disclosed of steel rod in leg can't use her

We purchased dog for training as a service dog, appeared fine on initial testing, now she is lame and was checked out to see what the problem was and discovered steel rod in leg that did not heal properly and will required additional surgery with not a good out come. This injury was not disclosed... Read more »

Juliet Piccone answered on Aug 8, 2018

I'd suggest you repost your question with what it is you want to know and more facts. Was this an expensive dog from a breeder or a rescue? Or just a purchase from a private party/ non animal dealer? You probably need an actual consultation with an experienced animal attorney to figure out if you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Business Law and Patents (Intellectual Property) for Colorado on

Q: CRM software company trying to charge extra $500-$1000 for me to export my customers' info when I cancelled the software

The terminology in their Terms of Use include: "You have the right to Your content within Your Agemni Site. You may, at Agemni’s discretion, be subject to a fee to export that content including but not limit to any outstanding payments or fees that are due."

However, they do not mention... Read more »

Kevin E. Flynn answered on Jun 13, 2018

I do not see a patent issue here. I hope you find an attorney with the right background to help you. Ideally, this would have been something you worked out before you populated the site with data that you need.

You may want to Google around to see if others have dealt with this issue or...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Animal / Dog Law and Small Claims for Colorado on

Q: Who is liable if a dog does damage to their owner's property?

I was checking in on someone's dogs twice a day for ten days while they were away. They did damage to the owner's property. I agreed to feed and water them. Let them out in the morning and inside in the evening. They are not denying that I did that, but they want me to pay for damages that I... Read more »

Kristina M. Bergsten answered on Apr 6, 2018

This is an interesting question with no clear answer. The only way the owner could collect money from you is if the owner sues you in court and wins. Since the dogs were not yours and you performed your agreed upon duties, I think you have a viable defense that the damage is not your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Consumer Law for Colorado on

Q: I am on h4 visa and I have a lot of hotwheels cars. Can I sell them online ?

I am on h4 visa and I have a lot of hotwheels cars. Can I sell them online ?

I have a lot of hotwheels cars which I bought from a collector. We have used 40% of them but still 300 cars are in boxes as they are repeated cars.

I bought those 500-600 cars for my son's birthday.... Read more »

Stanley Dale Radtke answered on Apr 4, 2018

Yes you can sell your personal property on line without offending your immigration status. However, you may have a duty to report this income to the IRS. Please consult with a tax specialist on what is required to remain in compliance with tax law.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Products Liability for Colorado on

Q: Apple iTunes refunded $7,000 dollars back out of $75,000 spent, they will not go back more then 60 days. can I get more?

My mother used my fathers iPad and started playing freemium casino slots or free to play slots through face book. She got addicted to those “manipulated” games and with in a course of 2.5 years she spent over $75,000 dollars. The problem was she was taking it from my dads life savings without... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing answered on Mar 26, 2018

Why not contact a member of the Colorado Assn for Justice as there may be a violation of the gaming laws if they take money from people in colorado while having a game that can be manipulated.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Consumer Law for Colorado on

Q: I have a car loan that is fully under my name but the vehicle is in my ex-girlfriends, how can we get it on her name?

She has bad credit with no possible co-signer for a refinance, I just want this car loan off me as fast as possible as it is causing issues in my new relationship.

John Hyland Barrett III answered on Jan 5, 2018

You may be stuck unless she can refinance the loan. The lender will not release you until the loan is paid off. Maybe the car should be sold to pay off the loan.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Car Accidents and Wrongful Death for Colorado on

Q: Can I get a car manufacturer to immediately repurchase a vehicle for a critical safety defect?

At 6.5 mo/6762 miles, while driving 79-80 mph (in a 75 zone), without warning it did the following:

Loud sound under hood

Engine stopped

Electrical system shut down, inc. dash/audio

Rapid deceleration (engine braking, still in drive)

Power steering/braking... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing answered on Jan 4, 2018

Generally, no. Contact the center for auto safety to see if there have been similar complaints on that model.

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Consumer Law for Colorado on

Q: How do i report a storw in colorado that wont let me use bathroom i have IBS

William Foster answered on Dec 28, 2017

Stores are not required to provide bathrooms to customers.

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Construction Law and Consumer Law for Colorado on

Q: hi..a dog ran out of a house today when we were carrying in equipment to do their hardwood floors, - it was hit by a car

and died on the spot , should we still bill them for the job? $3000

Juliet Piccone answered on Oct 11, 2017

I would suggest offering to credit their bill in exchange for a full and final release of liability for the damages ie death of their dog. I can draft such a document.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Collections and Consumer Law for Colorado on

Q: My daughter received school loans and needed a cosigner at the time she is now 33 I'm am now being sued for her loan

Now that she is older is there anyway I can be taken off of these loans because I have my own school loans that I'm paying back?

Tristan Kenyon Schultz answered on Sep 8, 2017

Short of your daughter refinancing the loan (and not having you as a cosigner or guaranteer to the loan) or repaying the loan, there is no way to remove your name.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Consumer Law for Colorado on

Q: Is it legal for a car dealership to sell a car while it is off the lot and being test driven by another person?

My wife and I were test driving a vehicle that we had a licensed broker pick up for us to show us the car. While we were test driving the vehicle, the dealership began paperwork on the sale of the vehicle and demanded it to be returned to the dealership by the broker agent. Is this legal or just... Read more »

Tristan Kenyon Schultz answered on Aug 30, 2017

Unless you or your broker had a contractual arrangement to hold on the sale of the vehicle, the dealership can sell a car that is not on the lot and/or is being test driven. If the dealership "sold" the car without really selling the car to simply prevent the broker from forcing a discount on the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Consumer Law for Colorado on

Q: have 65k in CC debt, have 112k in reverse mort debt. wife and I live on 54k yearly. Home is valued at 400k.options?

What is max amt on value of home - don't want my home touched.

Timothy Canty answered on Aug 14, 2017

The Colorado homestead exemption is $75,000, or if you are over 60 years old or disabled, $105,000. You must have a been a Colorado resident for at least 2 years in order to use Colorado exemptions. Any equity over those amounts must be turned over to the trustee to pay creditors. This will usually... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Business Law and Consumer Law for Colorado on

Q: Is it legal to have people sign a non-compete when testing out a dating method? Please read more for details.

I've developed a method that deals with males addressing anxiety issues and other common inhibitions when it comes to approaching and talking with females in a fun, flirty or romantic nature. I've begun trial runs and things are going well. The girls I'm using for the males to work with (the girls... Read more »

D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Aug 6, 2017

The non-competes would be very difficult to enforce under Colorado law. The "test run males" are not working for you they are the customers.Non-competes can't be enforced against customers, you can't stop someone from using another firms services. You could ask them to sing non-disclosure... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.