Kerhonkson, NY asked in Elder Law and Real Estate Law for New Jersey

Q: My 100 year old Mom is living at home with a 24 hour caregiver.Her home is in a life estate with myself and 2 sisters

I am paying for the bulk of her care and home expenses as I am Guardian.I keep excellent records.How will I be payed back upon the sale of the house?One sister objects to everything!!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jaclyn Healey
Jaclyn Healey
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Metuchen, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You won't. We never recommend that people pay their parent's medical bills, because there is no guarantee that you will be reimbursed. If your mom cannot afford the care, I would look into getting her on Medicaid.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.