Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
New Jersey Elder Law Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning and Elder Law for New Jersey on
Q: What is the benefits or disadvantages of will compared to a trust

My mom is 90 years old and she has a will. I keep on telling her I think she should get a trust, I think it’s called a living trust. She has six children and everything is to be divided equally. Is a will sufficient

Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb answered on May 16, 2022

Simply put, a will takes effect after death. There are two types of trusts. One is irrevocable which means it can never be changed without the consent of the beneficiaries. The other trust can be changed by the grantor during lifetime.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Elder Law for New Jersey on
Q: What is NJ law concerning return of new unused google play gift card purchased from Michaels during scam on 2/19/22?

GooglePlay gift cards worth $500 purchased at Michaels, Deptford, NJ. realized scam on 2/19/22; tried to return on 2/21/22; store mgr said policy is no return. Left message with fraud control at Michaels corp; no response to date. I will be 80 on 4/14/42. am I a "protected citizen?"

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer answered on Mar 5, 2022

There really is no cost effective solution. Try to contact the county prosecutor and the N.J. Dept of Consumer Affairs. Good luck.

2 Answers | Asked in Elder Law, Family Law and Estate Planning for New Jersey on
Q: My father (71) owns a home in Nj. How to start getting his paperwork ready in case of death. He lives in NJ I live in Fl
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq. answered on Feb 19, 2022

You should have your father call one of us lawyers to draft a will for him.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Criminal Law, Elder Law and Federal Crimes for New Jersey on
Q: selling bitcoin for cash or cashiers cheque is legal in usa . the payments were received from 3 rd party

the cashiers cheques received were from individuals, who I did not know .

H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq. answered on Feb 9, 2022

Not necessarily, but more information is needed to answer your question. I suggest that you setup a consultation with a business cybersecurity internet lawyer. That being said this could be a scam. Expect the lawyer to charge you a fee for the advise.

1 Answer | Asked in Medical Malpractice and Elder Law for New Jersey on
Q: Who legally is medical P.O.A. for my dying mother? No legal paperwork has been done. I'm oldest of 4 girls

Mother is now brain dead and end of life questions have arose. My 2nd sister is insisting she makes all choices, cause she lives closest. She has been telling doctors what to do next without speaking to any of us. Hospital will not even except my calls, cause 2nd sister has lied and said shes POA.... Read more »

Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond answered on Jan 26, 2022

I am terribly sorry to hear about your mother's condition and that you and your sister are fighting over how to handle your mother's current condition peacefully.

As to a power of attorney, I would be shocked (take a breath), if your sister was able to simply tell the hospital...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law for New Jersey on
Q: my mother needs to go to a nursing home.

if medicaid sees that her house was transfered to me (son) within the previous 5 yrs do i have to give medicaid the house in order for her to be admitted to a nursing home with out delay ?

Theodore David Vicknair Sr.
Theodore David Vicknair Sr. answered on Jul 26, 2021

Most states allow a give back of property (in certain contexts called a "penalty cure") by the kids to the parents. So no, they will not seize the house.

If you received the house from her recently, a give back may be the best thing. However, if she "otherwise...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Probate, Arbitration / Mediation Law, Civil Rights and Elder Law for New Jersey on
Q: My Aunt (now deceased-covid) had a will in 2008. The person on that will is contesting “new” will. Stating incompetent

He already took her 2 friends estates. She got angry and devised a new will. A lot of $ involved.

H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq. answered on May 30, 2021

This person obviously knows what he is doing so you better get a good lawyer to make sure he doesn't win.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Elder Law for New Jersey on
Q: If a springing general durable power of attorney and a general durable power of attorney were signed at the same time.

Which poa should be followed

Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond answered on Mar 25, 2021

A “springing power of attorney” is also referred to as a “conditional power of attorney”, which is a power of attorney that is activated after certain conditions are met - typically when the principal becomes disabled or mentally incompetent. However, it could also be used when someone is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law, Nursing Home Abuse and Wrongful Death for New Jersey on
Q: My mother was in a nursing home, sent to the hospital with UTI, kidney stones and malnutrition

She had surgery and was sent back to the nursing home, stable but with a PICC line for 6 weeks of antibiotics. She developed a med allergy at the nursing home and the doctor discontinued the antibiotics after 1 week. He did not do bloodwork or give her another antibiotic. She died 3 weeks later of... Read more »

H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq. answered on Nov 5, 2020

Yes it sounds like you have a good law suit, but of course more information would need to be known to determine how good. I suggest you setup an appointment to meet with an experienced lawyer and bring with you all the medical records you have.

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Criminal Law, Elder Law, Estate Planning and Probate for New Jersey on
Q: Lawyer drafted a trust, will and POA document. Less than two years later POA/Trustee is being taken to court by benefici

Beneficiary has evidence to prove the POA/Trustee is breaching his fiduciary duties. Beneficiary hires a lawyer. His lawyer petitions the court for a discovery which is denied. Judge orders a deposition of the POA/Trustee. My lawyer failed to reveal a significant amount of info to persuade the... Read more »

H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq. answered on Oct 19, 2020

You didn't ask a specific question, I suggest that you seek an in office consultation to get a second opinion if you don't like what your lawyer is telling you or what he is asking you to do. That being said expect a lawyer to charge you for his time and advise.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law for New Jersey on
Q: Is it legal in NJ for one sibling to prevent other siblings from visiting or getting health updates about their mother ?

Their mother has dementia and recently entered a nursing home. Went into the hospital for surgery and is now in a rehab center. They told her son they cannot give him any information on her condition. They were also told they cannot visit as per the other sibling. Their mother is my sister.

Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond answered on Oct 16, 2020

This type of setting is terribly sad and I am sorry that you and your family is going through this setting but I am also guessing that there is a long history underlying the hostilities being expressed by one group of siblings against their brother and I am also guessing that there is concern that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Civil Rights, Elder Law and Probate for New Jersey on
Q: Do lawyers have access to court audios?

Are attorneys able to get an audio of a court hearing that they're involved in fairly quickly?

Andrew M Shaw
Andrew M Shaw answered on Aug 31, 2020

Yes, absolutely. For a $10 fee, it is quite simple to obtain audio of a Court proceeding. The audio file is usually provided by the Court within a couple days.

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law and Probate for New Jersey on
Q: I understand that an executor can take a commission on income made on any asset from date of death to its Sale. True?

Stocks were sold recently and had a gain of over $100,000, for example.

Noel Rivers
Noel Rivers answered on Jun 17, 2020

Yes. An executor is entitled to commission on the income from an asset of the estate. See New Jersey Statute 3B:18-13 which reads in part: Commissions in the amount of 6% may be taken without court allowance on all income received by the fiduciary.

2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning, Elder Law and Probate for New Jersey on
Q: My deceased mom put her Brokerage account only in my kids (over 30 yrs old) names. They want to disclaim it

And give it to me. I am the executor. What do I need to do. Want to avoid probate

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Apr 19, 2020

You need to schedule a personal consultation with a probate attorney and provide more facts. Disclaimer might not achieve the result you want because it results in your children being deemed to have predeceased your mom with the result that the funds would go to persons other than you, depending on... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Foreclosure, Appeals / Appellate Law and Elder Law for New Jersey on
Q: Was evicted, Movers are just throwing my stuff in bags. This is causing great hardship. How do I fight this. I need help

I am overwhelmed and there is too much stuff now packed into the storage units. I can’t even pull things out for the organizations to take stuff. I have one month before the first group is due in about a week after that the second group is due. If I have to pay all of these I will not be able to... Read more »

Derek John Soltis
Derek John Soltis answered on Feb 5, 2020

I am sorry to hear about your situation. Have you looked into any of NJ's state assistance programs?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Elder Law for New Jersey on
Q: How do I obtain the proper lawyer to remove solar panels due to fraud?

A solar company signed my dad (70 years old) into a 20 year contract. His signature was digitally signed by the representative who scammed my dad into buying the panels. He told my dad everything would be "free". That is all what he repeated through out. Not to mention, my dad speaks... Read more »

Noel Rivers
Noel Rivers answered on Oct 15, 2019

I highly recommend that your father contacts an attorney to have a consultation regarding this issue. I have experience dealing with a solar panel company regarding fees and costs of the monthly installments and have successfully negotiated the removal of the panels and canceling of the contract.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Consumer Law, Elder Law and Nursing Home Abuse for New Jersey on
Q: Am I responsible for payment of an exorbitant fee to Assisted Living facility that was the result of the facility error?

My elderly, low income mom (on medicaid) resides in an assisted living facility . I pay her rent there every month. They added on a $4,000 charge and recently and claimed it was because they did not bill her the correct amount monthly, going 2 years back. She doesn't have this money, can... Read more »

Madeline Houston
Madeline Houston answered on Aug 6, 2019

In order to answer this question an attorney would need to review any contracts signed by your mother and by you. Some violations of the law allow you to demand that your attorneys fees be paid by the defendant t in certain circumstances and if an attorney thinks you have such a case and it is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Elder Law for New Jersey on
Q: how Protected is a home from a nursing home that the patient will not be returning to? Will it have to be sold to pay?

Nursing home has gotten 300,000 and we don’t want them to get the home too. She has two sons that want to keep it however my husband took guardianship over her 6 months ago

H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq. answered on Jan 5, 2019

If its a bill it must be paid, you got the services and agreed to the price they can sue.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Elder Law and Probate for New Jersey on
Q: Can a conservator in NJ be changed?

My husbands’ parents have a conservator, but he is intimidating them and bullying them. They were tricked into signing affidavits by their daughter, who is only concerned about her inheritance, saying they are incompetent. Not until after the conservator was appointed, did they know what the... Read more »

Ben F Meek III
Ben F Meek III answered on Jan 3, 2019

Conservatorship usually requires the consent of the wards. They need to get an attorney, if they are being abused emotionally or financially or if they gave their consent under duress or false pretenses. If they truly lack capacity, guardianship is probably the more appropriate remedy, since... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Elder Law for New Jersey on
Q: How are senior citizen discounts even legal? Why should they get special treatment?
Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer answered on Oct 27, 2018

They are legal in all 50 states. There is nothing illegal about them. Any business or service provider can freely chose how they want to conduct business, subject to existing law. Many of them are on a very limited or fixed income.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.