Dallas, TX asked in Personal Injury for Texas

Q: Can prior criminal convictions be used as evidence in a personal injury lawsuit? Also, convictions after the accident?

My husband was rear ended by a dump truck He was stopped and waiting on traffic to make a left turn. Truck never hit his brakes and was going about 45-50 mph. Husband now has 3 ruptured discs as well as injuries to 2 others. Never a back problem in his life. Devastating because his only hobby was fitness.

Truck was coming down a hill that leveled out before he reached my husband. Clear view the entire time. We recently found out that the driver has a criminal record since before he was 20. Driving and trucking violations all throughout. He actually was arrested for possession of a controlled substance and was issued a DWI the VERY NEXT DAY after hitting my husband. State jail felony, $20,000 bond. 12 days later, he was arrested again for 2 trucking violations and possession of a controlled substance! He somehow passed his drug test 7 hrs after my husbands accident.

Depositions are scheduled in 4 days and no one can find the driver. He has “failure to appear” all over his record.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bradford Kvinta
Bradford Kvinta
  • Victoria, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: With depositions scheduled, I assume you have previously hired an attorney. If so, then you need to ask your attorney this question. If you haven't hired an attorney, then you should probably do so ASAP. Criminal convictions can be used against witnesses in certain instances, generally to attack a witness's credibility.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.