Asked in Personal Injury and Wrongful Death for Virginia

Q: My aunt was killed in a car wreck in Virginia. It was the other drivers fault.

The driver at fault also died and was in a company owned vehicle. Should I wait till their insurance offers a settlement before hiring an attorney. I'm my aunt's beneficiary. She had no children and was widowed

3 Lawyer Answers
David Alan Wolf
David Alan Wolf pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Wrongful death cases can be quite complicated. An estate will need to be set up. You should at least schedule a free consultation with a local personal injury attorney to discuss the law and the applicable legal rights. Insurance companies are well represented by attorneys, investigators, and adjusters. You should have an advocate on your side in the form of a personal injury attorney to look after your best interest. Sorry for your loss and good luck.

T. Andrew Miller
T. Andrew Miller pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If you want to maximize the settlement, you should consult with an attorney as soon as possible. The insurance company treats claims of unrepresented people differently than they do claims of people with lawyers. I’ll top of that there is a right and a wrong way to present a claim of this nature, and it will certainly affect the outcome.

Beau  Correll
Beau Correll
  • Winchester, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: First of all, I want to say that I am sorry for your loss. Losing a loved one, regardless of the cause, can be traumatic and I'm sure that you have a lot of questions. There are lots of questions that need to be posed to you before giving you the advice that you deserve. They include the circumstances of the collision, the attending circumstances, your relationship, and the status of the estate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.