Dixon, IL asked in Car Accidents for Illinois

Q: My uninsured car was hit by an uninsured driver while parked in front of my apartment. The man signed a paper stating he

would compensate me $1000 within 2 weeks. Two witnesses signed the same paper. It's been 6 weeks now and I haven't even gotten half of what he claimed he would pay me. Do I have the right to sue him? I have a police report saying he's at fault.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Barry Zlotowicz
Barry Zlotowicz
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Glenview, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Hello,

It sounds like you may have a cause of action against the driver of the vehicle.

You will want to file suit in small claims court. You do not need a lawyer to help you do this.

Go online and find your local courthouse. Go there, file the standard form complaint that they provide, pay your fees and you will be set.

Best of luck to you.

If you have any questions, feel free to call me. No fee. Happy to help.

Barry Zlotowicz

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.