Garland, TX asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Texas

Q: Hi i wanna know if my ex wife can take my son to another country with out my permission

I dont khow how she got the passport if i haven't not sign any papers in the case what i can do m

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Hoelscher
Joseph Hoelscher pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • San Antonio, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Hi Cristian,

The answer depends on your Final Decree or child custody order, if y'all have been to court before. In Texas, many orders contain a geographic restriction, which limits where a child may be moved to. However, many orders are silent on travel that doesn't establish a new residence. So, whatever order controls your custody controls travel and residency. If y'all don't have an order at all, then you probably need to go to court to get orders and request that neither spouse may take your son outside the United States without the other spouse's permission.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.