Las Vegas, NV asked in Tax Law for Arizona

Q: Can I have my ex taxes amended from the previous year?

My ex took my kids out of state without my permission while I was at work. We are in the middle of a custody case. Last year she claimed all our children behind my back. When her and the kids were still with me until Sept of 2016. There was no way she supported us and all 3 kids on her income. As probably stated in her tax return last year. Can I have her taxes amended from last year? I spoke with my family lawyer and he says its to late so I didn't pursue it. But when I tried to ask her about claiming at least one of our children this year she said no because she had them all year and I didn't help support them. I was advised by my family attorney not to send her any money until a final decision has been made by the courts on the custody of the children. She currently has temporary custody.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew M Montoya
Matthew M Montoya
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Lone Tree, CO

A: Here are the IRS tiebreaker rules (when two people try to claim the same dependents):

More detailed information can be found in IRS Publication 501:

For information about your specific legal situation, you would have to consult with a tax attorney. Fortunately, federal tax issues are a national practice area. For reference - I do charge for consultations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.