Dodge City, KS asked in Criminal Law, Immigration Law and Traffic Tickets for Kansas

Q: Does my aunt need to appear in court or can she just pay a fine? What are the possible penalties?

My aunt who is an illegal immigrant got pulled over for going 45 in a 35. The officer gave her a warning for speeding but gave her a slip that says she has to appear in court for driving without a driver’s license. This is her first time getting in trouble for anything. Because she is a single mother of 2 young daughters who are citizens, she is afraid of showing up to the court date and being deported or even going to city hall to ask if she can just pay a fine.

2 Lawyer Answers

Roger Carl Algase

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY

A: Before doing anything else, your aunt needs to consult with an immigration lawyer who is experienced in both criminal law and deportation law. This is a situation that could very possibly lead to serious problems for her.

Hector E. Quiroga

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: Sounds like she has to go to court. It is unlikely that anything worse will happen; however, she may want to consult with an immigration attorney just in case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.