Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Questions Answered by Patrick Lewis

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Kansas on

Q: Is it a conflict of interest if you retain a criminal lawyer who is also an Assistant District Attorney in same county?

Patrick Lewis answered on Dec 26, 2012

I cannot imagine how an assistant district attorney would ever represent a person on a criminal charge in his county. Most, I think all, assistant district attorneys are full time employees and am confused how such an attorney is taking retained work. It certainly sounds like a conflict for the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Kansas on

Q: Can one lose their rights to firearms in Kansas on Domestic Battery misdemeanor

Patrick Lewis answered on Dec 26, 2012

WIthout a doubt. A conviction of a domestic battery will cause a person to lose his/her right to possess a firearm. A crime of domestic violence will cause a person to lose his/her right to possess a firearm under federal law.

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law for Kansas on

Q: What does it cost to have a misdemeanor record expunged

Patrick Lewis answered on Dec 26, 2012

It used to be free, but the legislature passed a bill last year setting a filing fee. That filing fee should be around one hundred dollars. You can file it yourself or hire an attorney to handle the paperwork.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.