Silver Spring, MD asked in Education Law and Personal Injury for Maryland

Q: My 8 y/o has been physically assaulted in class many times. Admin is aware and done nothing. Can I take legal action

1 Lawyer Answer
Ashley VanCleef
Ashley VanCleef
  • Education Law Lawyer
  • Frederick, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: School systems are required to act upon reported acts of bullying. School systems have bullying forms posted on the websites and paper copies are available in the school buildings. This is the best way to document what is happening and to hopefully have administration swiftly take action.

If the school administration does not act on your report, you can escalate the concern to their supervisors at the central office level and to the Maryland State Department of Education.

Whether there is a personal injury claim depends on whether the school staff act on the report or not and whether there is any negligence on the school system's part that could be contributing to a child's injuries.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.