Miami, FL asked in International Law for Florida

Q: I need attorney to set up Miami account with funds belonging to Belgian English-French translator, 75..

International Law. Funds are currently held at SunTrust. Bank will remit funds held in my name to attorney representing Belgian national whose assets are protected by tax treaty between the US and Belgium.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg
  • International Law Lawyer
  • Potomac, MD

A: This sounds very suspiciously like a common Internet fraud. It is utterly easy to set up a US bank account for a Belgian, and there is nothing special that any CPA doesn't know about income tax protection under tax treaties. The fact that you are planning to lay out money for an attorney to accomplish this indicates to me that you are already "on the hook," so to speak. Pay an attorney, alright, but buy an hour consult to describe the planned transaction and determine how it can be accomplished so none of your personal money is involved. DO NOT GO FORWARD without review.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.