Charlotte, NC asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for North Carolina

Q: Can my mom prohibit me to see my boyfriend? I'm 16 and he is 17 and we are going to have a baby.

My mom said that she won't allow me to see my boyfriend. And I'm specting on April. She sign that she will be responsible for the payments on the hospital. But now she is saying that she won't pay anything. She have me lock down in my house. She don't allow me to go anywhere but school. And she is always asking me to pay for rent and food.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Houser
Amanda Bowden Houser
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Yes, she can. She likely should have put you on lock down before you got pregnant. But she doesn't get the best of both world's. If she's going to now try and treat you like the child you are - she has to pay for it. Children don't pay for rent and food or hospital bills. And the opposite is true, women old enough to have babies and do what they want, do have to pay for rent, food and hospital bills. So you and your mother need to decide what you are and act accordingly. Are you a child who is expected to do what her mother says and doesn't have to pay for rent, food and hospitals bills or are you a woman who does? Pick one and stick to it. You don't get to pick and choose from both.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.