South Jordan, UT asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Utah

Q: My mother passed away 18 years ago. I was supposed to receive my trust money when I turned 33. I’m now 46 and haven’t.

My father claims the money was lost in the stock market. How do I go about getting what was left.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William Tyler Melling
William Tyler Melling
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Cedar City, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: This really depends on a lot of different factors. If the funds had vested to you (meaning they are not contingent on someone else like your father passing away), then the Trustee is responsible for those funds and was responsible for their appropriate investment. I would suggest contacting an attorney in your area to review the Trust and contact the Trustee regarding any remaining funds. That attorney would be able to advise you as to your rights based on the Trust document and any Trustee liability for mismanagement of funds.

I hope this helps. Best of luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.