Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Utah Estate Planning Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Probate and Estate Planning for Utah on
Q: How do I get a tax id number on my family trust I'm trying to collect on a annuity and don't have the actual trust
Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore answered on Aug 23, 2021

Your best answer depends on a few things that an attorney would need to discuss with you. If you don't have a copy of the Trust, you need help proving your authority as the Trustee. If you are the creator of the Trust, you can always sign an updated version of the Trust. If you are an heir and... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Tax Law and Probate for Utah on
Q: What kind of tax is applicable (estate or income) on the dividend distributions made to decedent after his death?

Decedent received dividend distributions after his death. Does Estate have to pay estate tax or income tax?

Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor answered on Aug 13, 2021

Hi, dividend income would be considered income tax. The estate tax has to deal with the total amount of value passing from the decedent to others. So, it can be counted as both--income when received by the estate and an amount chipping away at the estate tax exemption credit. Most people are not... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Tax Law and Probate for Utah on
Q: Is cash in the savings account of the non resident alien decedent taxable by the federal estate tax?

IRS states as follows in their website

The property includible in the U.S.-situated gross estate for a nonresident not a citizen includes only assets “situated” in the United States, such as:

1. U.S. real estate,

2. All tangible property located in the United States,... Read more »

Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor answered on Aug 13, 2021

Cash is considered tangible personal property. In your case, money held in the bank would either be deemed "cash" or "intangible" property.

I hope this helps.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for Utah on
Q: Can a successor trustee live in the house owned by the trust while settling the trust, as payment for trustee services?

The house is a long distance from the trustee’s residence and full of personal property to be garnered, valued, and distributed. The house is to be sold with equal shares to beneficiaries. The trustee is one of those beneficiaries.

Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor answered on Jul 5, 2021

It sounds reasonable as long as it doesn't take too long. If the trust doesn't speak to that ability, then the trustee probably can. A trustee's actions need to be reasonable or some other standard as outlined in the trust agreement. If this is done, then the trustee will still... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Estate Planning and Probate for Utah on
Q: My neighbor, a close friend, asked me to take his dog when he died. He died of cancer last week.

When he was alive, he told me that he put his dog in his will and specifically told me that it was important (he was acting very cryptic and secretive about it). His estranged wife keeps asking me if I'm going to keep her. I told her yes, and that I suspected my friend (her estranged husband)... Read more »

Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor answered on Apr 26, 2021

If you are to receive his dog (which is deemed "property") then you are a beneficiary of the will. As such, you are entitled to see the Will unless the Will says otherwise (something like, no beneficiary is entitled to a copy of the will and will be subject to judicial review only).... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning for Utah on
Q: What happens with a family trust wherein one of the heirs does not cooperate with the trustees?

Can the trustees bypass that heir and have it closed anyway? Does an heir who is uncooperative with the trustees and their attorney have any rights to contest what the trustees have done with the trust? The uncooperative heir is myself because of the dysfunctional relationships in my family. Thank... Read more »

Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore answered on Mar 8, 2021

If a Trust is handled incorrectly, you can contest that in court. You definitely have the right as an heir to contest.

Being uncooperative won't be appreciated by a judge. You want to have a good reason to contest, and be prepared to pay for attorneys fees that are not paid back if...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Probate and Securities Law for Utah on
Q: What are my chances to force a publicly traded company to lift the restrictions on stock in the court I have inherited

I am about to inherit restricted stocks from my father who was an insider in the company. I dont know what the restrictions are exactly yet, but whatever they are, can I and how likely can I succeed to force the company to lift those restrictions in the court?

Do they need to have... Read more »

Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor answered on Feb 3, 2021


That questions is difficult to answer. If your Dad died while working at the company, perhaps the stock will come restriction free. Usually restrictions are in place to prevent insider trading, so if there is no chance at insider trading anymore, they may lift them. Other...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for Utah on
Q: How can a home with multiple beneficiaries in a trust be converted to a single beneficiaries name?

A 62 year old female continues to live in her parents home after they have been dead for several years. She receives minimum disability benefits. The home was part of a trust to multiple family members, one of which has died and the others seem to have no interest in the property as far as... Read more »

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Dec 28, 2020

If the house has been retitled in the names of the multiple family members as a result of administration of the trust, then the other owners need to sign one or more deeds transferring their interests to the 62 year old lady.

If the house is still in the name of the trust, then the trust...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning for Utah on
Q: The attorney that wrote up our trusts died one year ago. No one contacted us. No one answers phone or email. Records??

My parents and I both used an attorney in South Jordan, Utah to write up trusts in 2014. My parents are now trying to refinance their reverse mortgage. We need information from the attorney. We tried to contact him via telephone and email. Can't leave message and emails kicked back. Checked... Read more »

Brian Craig
Brian Craig answered on Dec 10, 2020

As a best practice, clients should safeguard estate planning documents rather than the lawyer or law firm. Having a scanned digital copy is also a good idea. You might be able to find some records with the county recorder's office if real estate was transferred to the trust. Otherwise, you... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Estate Planning and Workers' Compensation for Utah on
Q: Can your v. Successful x husband leave you homeless after 20 years of marriage and 4 kids?
David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward answered on Dec 1, 2020

I don't know! You live in Utah and things are done differently there! LOL

Please go see a divorce lawyer ASAP. Most good family lawyers will hear you out in the first sitting. Here in Florida (and in Texas and Oklahoma) the court can award temporary alimony, child support and...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning for Utah on
Q: Can anything be done when in the process of a trust and the grantor dies before signing?

We were in the process of setting up a trust for my sick mother when she suddenly became so sick (the day of hoping to sign in fact). Hindered by getting a notary public because of Covid, is there anything we can do?

Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm answered on Nov 16, 2020

Sadly, if the document is not signed it has no legal impact on the estate. If she died with a prior will and trust then that would be controlling. If there is no will or trust signed, dated, witnessed and notarized, then she died intestate. The rules of intestate succession in the state where... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Estate Planning and Tax Law for Utah on
Q: What price of the stock should be used for estate tax valuation? At the date of death or at the date of collection?

The father died in 2012, but due to personal circumstances, the probate was opened in 2020. Now the stock value increased. Which price of the stocks should be considered for estate taxation: at the date of death or at the date i collected it?

Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor answered on Oct 12, 2020

The date of death value. Even though the stock didn't transfer, your right to the stock activated at his death.

I hope this helps.


1 Answer | Asked in Probate and Estate Planning for Utah on
Q: I lost my step dad a month ago and 1 of 3 daughter's took everything. There was no Wil. How can I get my sharej

He married my mom about 25 years ago and they divorced. He never adopted us girls but was are father. My sister took everything. He always insisted there was a Wil and it disappeared. How can I get my share and how is it legal she can take it all. Its so unfair cause me and my father was the... Read more »

Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore answered on Sep 30, 2020

You are legally considered someone's descendant if they were your birth parent or they adopted you. If you are not a descendant, you can only inherit if they leave behind something stating that you are the intended heir. If your sister is the only living descendant of your stepfather, and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Tax Law for Utah on
Q: What will be the estate tax exemption amount if my father passed away in 2011, but I collected inheritance in 2020?

There was a change in the exemption amount between 2011-2020. In 2018 Trump increased it from $5.6MM to $11MM

Eric Steven Day
Eric Steven Day answered on Sep 18, 2020

The estate tax is determined at the time of death. Therefore, if there is an exemption on the tax it would be at the time of death, not at the time you actually receive the property.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Utah on
Q: My ex is selling his house and I am apparently on the title. What advice would you give me on what to do?

My ex called me tonight to let me know he is selling his house but can’t because my name is on the title. He is asking me to sign documents that basically give my rights to the house away? I don’t know how this works and I had no idea I was even on the title. We was never married. We bought... Read more »

Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore answered on Sep 11, 2020

As a Real Estate attorney, I don't have much to tell you. Outside of a marriage relationship, if someone places your name on the deed, this is normally either a gift, or a purchase, of 50%. When a parent adds a child to their deed, the child is now a part owner.

Because you had a...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Civil Litigation, Insurance Defense and Probate for Utah on
Q: Life Insurance is asking for prescription list, autopsy and toxicology reports. How do I obtain these if Im not related?

BF died of drug intoxication. Insurance is asking for prescription list, autopsy and toxicology. We were not married how do I obtain these? I doubt his family will help me obtain one.

Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore answered on Sep 8, 2020

Obtain some sort of official demand from the life insurance company and give a copy to the sources of the documents you need. This may work.

Attorneys can normally obtain these items with a letter saying they need it for their client to obtain insurance.

If neither of these work,...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Utah on
Q: Is there public record of Family Trusts?If so where would such documents be located?


Lane Wood
Lane Wood answered on Aug 29, 2020

There is no public database where trusts are recorded. Trusts are generally kept private. If you know who prepared the trust, you may want to call them as they may still have a copy of it.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Utah on
Q: My dad died two years ago he had many guns he wanted them passed to his grandsons but never put it in his will.

The will state all assets are to be divided among all four daughters equally. My older sister is the executer and she has lied to the probate judge about his bank accounts and other things . Her son has all the guns I have tried to get my share and he won’t release them . He said he will to my... Read more »

Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor answered on Aug 17, 2020

I am sorry for your predicament. The will should govern the distribution of the estate. If the executor is lying to the probate judge, and you want to do something about it, then you need to file a motion about the executor's improprieties.

If the will says divide 4 ways, then that...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Estate Planning, Admiralty / Maritime and Banking for Utah on
Q: website doesnt have UCC 9-105 (1)(n) & (1)(h) listed, do u have link to where I can view them online
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jun 30, 2020

It looks like some of the other ordinary resources that post UCC 9-105 (Control of Electronic Chattel - Paper) do not include them. You posted under Admiralty/Maritime - I checked but could not find cross references under ordinary maritime laws I work with. The attorneys familiar with banking... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for Utah on
Q: I have an inherited tenant in Ogden Utah until 2021 , I need the house vacant how to serve buyout clause?

I bought a house with two tenants, one is month to month and the other has a lease in place till next year.

I read about a buyout clause in the lease that doesn't specify who can use it. Is that an option?

I have other plans for the home in the short term. The house... Read more »

Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore answered on Jun 8, 2020

The answers to your questions are in your contract. As I haven't read the contract, I can't give you any sure answers. I will say that most Buyout Clauses in leases are designed for the Tenant to buy the property, not the reverse. How to serve documents on a Tenant, like a clause allowing... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.