Asked in Personal Injury and Car Accidents for Virginia

Q: With a special verdict is it possible the other party could settle out of court?

If the ruling was in my favor but because of special verdict is it possible the other party will negotiate to settle out of court. Is going back to court the only way with a person injury civil suit

1 Lawyer Answer
Robert D. Kreisman
Robert D. Kreisman
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL

A: Without being clear on the question you are asking, if you were the prevailing party in a personal injury jury trial that had a special interrogatory as part of the verdict, I don't see why you couldn't now settle your case with the defendant(s). Defendants many times file posttrial motions following a loss at a jury trial and then even an appeal claiming trial errors. I would need a lot more information about your case to give you a fuller answer. What was the special verdict? Did you mean a special interrogatory or question that the jury answered?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.