Burlington, NC asked in Domestic Violence and Family Law for North Carolina

Q: what can you do if your being emotionally abused?

My boyfriends parents fight a lot, he yells at her and makes her cry, stressed and depressed, what can she do? She wont leave. Its gotten so bad that she took her sons and grandson to another house to sleep, to get away from him.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Houser
Amanda Bowden Houser
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: If she won't leave, there is likely nothing you can do unless he commits a crime in which case you can call law enforcement. However, no matter how well intentioned you are, you never know how your meddling in other peoples affairs will turn out - could be helpful, could be disastrous or anything in between. Chose your course of action carefully.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.