Rocky Mount, VA asked in Car Accidents, Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for Virginia

Q: GAP insurance co refused to talk to me. Told me they were communicating with Geico. Now I'm stuck with balance.

I totaled my car in April 2017. The car was in my dad's name and I was listed as the co-signer. I had insurance though Geico and GAP coverage I purchased from the dealership. I had a concussion so my mom was taking care of most of the paperwork from the accident. She had a hard time getting the pay off amount from them. Geico sent a check to Capital One Auto Finance for the value of my car and GAP was supposed to cover the rest. When I tried to contact them to get everything settled I was told by the GAP company that I didn't need to know my payoff amount and they were communicating with Geico and that I didn't need any further information. He was really rude. I had called Capital one and they said they recieved a check from Geico and they told me to call GAP. So I've been since May thinking that the car was paid off and that everything was taken care of and when I pulled my credit report I saw that I owe $2,109. What can I do? GAP has to be done within 90 days of the accident.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: Talk to the lender. If yoiu still owed for sure they would let you know. But if you still owe, then call Gap, ask for a supervisor, explain what happened and as you are the insured,policy holder they must speak with you. If you get no satisfaction contact the Colorado AG's office of Consumer protection & the insurance commissioner. Send a written demand (hard copy) to GAP certified return receipt demanding they pay.

Use the Fair Credit Reporting Act to explain you had coverage but insurer dropped the ball.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.