Virginia Insurance Defense Questions & Answers

Q: My daughter was rear ended. Other driver was charged. Their insurance is investigating whether to pay or not.

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation and Insurance Defense for Virginia on
Answered on Jan 22, 2019
F. Paul Maloof's answer
I regret that I do not handle car accident or car insurance claims. Sorry.

Q: I was hit extremely hard from the side and was cited a tic for $30, went by ambulance to ER and didn’t give statement.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets, Car Accidents, Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for Virginia on
Answered on Apr 16, 2018
Peter N. Munsing's answer
Don't give statments until you talk to a lawyer.Call a member of the Va Trial Lawyers Assn--they give free consults.

If you failed to yield you can be given a ticket.

Generally as she was contributorily at fault you can argue to your company she should have a proportional reduction in what she gets.

You paid cash and didn't check to see if it was covered for collision? Sorry, that's likely on you.

Q: I was hit by another vehicle while driving my father's vehicle. I have some pretty bad injuries. Who gets the settlement

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Defense, Small Claims and Car Accidents for Virginia on
Answered on Apr 2, 2018
Christian Lassen's answer
The car money goes to car owner, injury money to you, but you'll need representation to get maximum compensation

Q: Hello, my daughter was born with a cleft lip and gum line. Do we have cause to not pay out of pocket for her surgeries?

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Defense and Medical Malpractice for Virginia on
Answered on Feb 14, 2018
Rich Nagle's answer
That depends on whether or not there was a breach of medical standards of care. Do you have reason to believe inappropriate care was given? If so consultation with a lawyer to review your claim would be the next step.

Q: GAP insurance co refused to talk to me. Told me they were communicating with Geico. Now I'm stuck with balance.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for Virginia on
Answered on Jan 18, 2018
Peter N. Munsing's answer
Talk to the lender. If yoiu still owed for sure they would let you know. But if you still owe, then call Gap, ask for a supervisor, explain what happened and as you are the insured,policy holder they must speak with you. If you get no satisfaction contact the Colorado AG's office of Consumer protection & the insurance commissioner. Send a written demand (hard copy) to GAP certified return receipt demanding they pay.

Use the Fair Credit Reporting Act to explain you had coverage but...

Q: Warrant in debt claiming that I owe about 6500 to Geico Insurance.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Insurance Defense and Small Claims for Virginia on
Answered on Oct 19, 2017
Jan F Hoen's answer
Because you were uninsured, the claim would have been paid by the other driver's uninsured motorist coverage with GEICO. They now have the right to pursue you through subrogation for what they had to pay.

If you wish to contest the damages, you should retain counsel. GEICO will have in-house counsel to represent them.

Q: Need help fighting my health insurance. Is there a lawyer that can help me ?

1 Answer | Asked in Health Care Law, Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for Virginia on
Answered on Nov 29, 2016
Mr. Andrew T. Bodoh Esq.'s answer
There may be legal action that you can take, but there will be a cost for attorney fees, filing fees, and experts. An attorney will have to study the policy to make sure.

Q: Can the commission turn down a settlement your lawyer and the insurer already settled

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Defense for Virginia on
Answered on Jul 25, 2015
Adam Studnicki's answer
Sounds unusual. Ask your lawyer.

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement in writing. This is general information that is given for legal education only. It is not legal advice, and it may not work for your specific situation. It is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the relevant facts and documents. I strongly encourage you to consult with a local lawyer to get legal advice and...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.