Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for North Dakota

Q: Can I leave north Dakota with my child without consent?

Never married to the father. We have no court orders for custody. Would I be able to leave north Dakota with my child?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory William Liebl
Gregory William Liebl
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Fargo, ND
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: According to the plain language of the statute in ND you could leave without his consent or a court order. As a practical matter; however, it is a good idea to get his permission or a court order regardless. This is because, if you leave without his permission he may bring an action for custody/visitation and make a motion for an interim order, bringing the child back to ND, and you would have to deal with it all at a later date anyway -and from a much greater distance away. This can increase the cost of litigation. You should contact an attorney to discuss this in conjunction with the rest of the potentially applicable facts to this type of matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.