Springfield, MA asked in Elder Law, Estate Planning and Probate for Massachusetts

Q: How can I bring my grandmother, who resides in Puerto Rico, against her will and her husbands will to the United States?

She is 77 years old. She suffers from advanced rheumatoid arthritis, dementia, diabetes, hypertension and possibly a number of other medical concerns that we are unaware as she refuses medical care, refuses all medical appointments, refuses to eat more than 1 full meal a day. Her husband who lives with her is 67 years old has left her unattended a number of times. She has fallen and has been hurt. She is not able to fully self care, her hygiene is deteriorating. They live in a house with 5 cats who do not have a litter box and do their necessities in the home. The home is not quite exactly clean. Her husband refuses to have her go to the U.S with her adult children where she can get the proper care and attention. How can we make it happen without it being a case of “kidnap” as they are legally married?

1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: You will need to engage an attorney who practices elder l;aw/guardianship in Puerto Rico and you likely will have to attend court there to obtain guardianship with authority to move her to Massachusetts. This is really a Puerto Rican law question.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.