Richmond, VA asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law and Libel & Slander for Virginia

Q: Can I file harassment charges if someone calls my office and makes false accusations about me that get me in trouble?

My fiance's ex has been stalking me on social media and harassing us both by sending him everything I've ever posted in a support group that was supposed to be private and helpful for me as a stepmom to their daughter. I have her number blocked on my phone but she's still attacking me through him, and now has escalated by filing a false CPS report against me and even had someone pretending to be CPS call my job and say that I'm pretending to be a lawyer to intimidate others (which is completely untrue - I work at a law firm but have never represented myself as such). I tried to file charges but since she's been indirectly attacking me, the police said I couldn't. Now that she's escalated, what are my options?

1 Lawyer Answer
Susan Fremit
Susan Fremit
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Spotsylvania , VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: You can go directly to the Magistrate's office in the county where you live and file a complaint. That way, you aren't involving the police at all since you say they won't help you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.