Asked in Adoption and Juvenile Law for Virginia

Q: how do I give my fiance parental rights to my son?

my son's biological father isn't listed on BC and hasn't been involved with me since before my son was born

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Lane Kreitzer
Matthew Lane Kreitzer
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Winchester, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Adoption. The most preferred method would be an agreed step parent adoption. Biological father is entitled ot notice, and if biological father does not agree, you will need to have a child and prove that termination is in the child's best interest. These are hard cases, and mere abandonment rarely rises to a significant level if the biological father wants to resume a relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.