Mason, OH asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Ohio

Q: can I take my son out of state (Ohio to Puerto Rico) without permission from my ex?

My ex and I were never married and I filed for child support but other than that, there are no court orders on anything concerning my son

1 Lawyer Answer

Joseph Jaap

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: If you were not married, and you are the mother, and the biological father has not established paternity, and a court has not granted him parenting rights, then you are the sole custodian and make all decisions regarding your son and where he lives. You do not need permission to move. But if you do move, and the father then files for parental rights, if you have not yet established residency in the new location, Ohio might still be able to exert jurisdiction and order your son to be returned. But it would be an expensive process for the father. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to consult a local family law attorney before you move, so you know the potential problems.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.