Chicago, IL asked in Collections and Traffic Tickets for Illinois

Q: How do I fight tickets in collections so that my licence can be reinstated from suspension?

I received 14 red light violations between 2014-2015; however I never received notice of the tickets via mail or phone. Last year (Feb 2017), I received a call from a collection agency stating that my license are suspended and that I would have to pay $2800 dollars to clear the debt. I called the village where the tickets originated and they basically sent me back to the collection agency. I looked at the video footage and all of them are bogus tickets as I am seen making complete stops before turning right on red. Of course its too late to contest and they have doubled in cost. Are they any options for me to get the fees eliminated/reduced so that I can get my license back?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jason A. Wilkins
Jason A. Wilkins
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Carol Stream, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: First, call the cities that issued the citations and ask what they can do. Let them know you are sorry and want to see what you can do to waive some of the late fees. It's a stretch but worth asking. Next, try getting on a payment plan with the collection agency. MAKE SURE YOU VERIFY THAT THE COLLECTION AGENCY YOU SPEAK WITH IS THE ONE THE CITY CONTRACTED WITH. You don't want to pay a scam. If you do enter a payment plan that allows the suspension to be lifted, make sure you can complete the plan. If you fall off, most collections agencies will refuse to give you a second chance and will want the full balance paid before they will lift the suspension. Hope that helps!

Juan Ooink agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.