Tenafly, NJ asked in Contracts and Small Claims for Puerto Rico

Q: How do I go about filing small claims dispute in court if the merchant lives in Puerto Rico and I live in New Jersey?

This merchant will not return my down payment. My wedding was supposed to be in Puerto Rico but because of the massive hurricane hitting my wedding was cancelled by the resort . The merchant took my down payment on 9/12/17 and the hurricane hit on 9/18/17 the hotel I was supposed to have my wedding at closed down due to the hurricane on 9/16/17 and called me to cancel my wedding and issue a refund. So this merchant which was hire to do the decor of the wedding did not fulfil her services of the contract and now she is refusing to return my down payment.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: You will have to have the merchant personally served in Puerto Rico. Everything else would be the same. Depending on the amount of money involved, you may want to retain counsel, but collecting on a Judgment may be very hard.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.