Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Small Claims legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Puerto Rico Small Claims Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Small Claims for Puerto Rico on
Q: How do I sue someone who never completed a job that was paid for in full?

I paid an individual to install gates and to pressure wash, apply cement topping and sealant, and to correct all drainage issues. I originally paid half upfront so that he could begin working. Later, he asked for half of the remaining balance because he was going through some issues (sick wife,... View More

Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
answered on Nov 21, 2022

Unfortunately, this seems the case of a "no good deed goes unpunished". The Law of Contractor Registry, Law no. 145 of August 10, 1995, as amended, requires that any contractor working on residential properties must file a request to be included in the Puerto Rico Consumer Affairs... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury and Small Claims for Puerto Rico on
Q: How can I file a small claims law suit in Puerto Rico? I

I was injured on a excursion tour.

Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
answered on Jul 15, 2022

Without further information, I can only counsel regarding the forum before which to present your cause. If you received your injury while on a cruise ship or ferry boat within the jurisdiction of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and depending on the severity of said injuries, you may present your... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for Puerto Rico on
Q: Rented my home in San Juan PR and the tenant never lived at the home .Lives in Phil. How do I file eviction notice?

Rented my home. Tenant hasn't paid March - May rent and does not live at the place. How do I file an eviction for someone who doesn't live at residence but lives in Philadelphia

Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
answered on May 18, 2022

I'm assuming that the eviction is being made by way of Public Law 86 of 2011 before a Court of Law in Puerto Rico. In that event, a dunning letter should be mailed to the lessee by certified mail to his/her last known address (if Philadelphia address is known, mail to said address). If no... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Civil Litigation, Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for Puerto Rico on
Q: How much does it cost to file a small claims case in Boquerón, Puerto Rico?

Is it proper to file in small claims court to be released from a rental contract paid 1 year in advance? There was a breach of contract by landlord. We're looking to get our rental fees for the rest of the term of contract.

Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
answered on Nov 15, 2018

Hello and thank you for using JUSTIA. The case needs to be filed in the district court due to the amount and matter being claimed. You would file a breach of contract case. The costs are $750.00 retainer and 20% of the amount recovered. The amount placed by the court as legal fees would be... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Small Claims for Puerto Rico on
Q: How do I go about filing small claims dispute in court if the merchant lives in Puerto Rico and I live in New Jersey?

This merchant will not return my down payment. My wedding was supposed to be in Puerto Rico but because of the massive hurricane hitting my wedding was cancelled by the resort . The merchant took my down payment on 9/12/17 and the hurricane hit on 9/18/17 the hotel I was supposed to have my wedding... View More

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jan 23, 2018

You will have to have the merchant personally served in Puerto Rico. Everything else would be the same. Depending on the amount of money involved, you may want to retain counsel, but collecting on a Judgment may be very hard.

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims for Puerto Rico on
Q: Does the person I want to sue in small claims court have to live in the same city that the court is located in?
Naomi Jusino
Naomi Jusino
answered on Jan 8, 2017

In Puerto Rico, when you have a claim (collection) for $15,000 or less, you have to file the claim in the City of residence of the defendant.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.