Haines City, FL asked in Civil Litigation and DUI / DWI for Florida

Q: officer lied and arrested me for DUI case was dismissed (suppressed evidence) how do I get my legal fees and fines back

spent over 8 thousand dollars.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Jonathan Blecher

  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Miami, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Highly unlikely, unless you can successfully sue for false arrest. The standard of proof for that type of lawsuit is very high to get any recovery and you'll have to find a lawyer willing to take it on.

1 user found this answer helpful

Andy Wayne Williamson

  • Santa Rosa Beach, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: I agree with my colleague. Winning this case is highly unlikely and also highly unlikely that an attorney will take the case on a contingency. I totally get your frustration, but you won the battle and got the case dismissed at much expense. To try to go after your fees will likely mean throwing more money at this with no strong promise of getting it all back.

Good luck,

Jonathan Blecher agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.