Fayetteville, NC asked in Domestic Violence and Family Law for North Carolina

Q: Marine wife needs to move out of state to get away from abusive husband, can she be charged with kidnapping?

He’s in the Marines transitioning out, she fears for her safety and has no monetary resources, he made her quit her job. The only option she has is to move back home to her moms to get back on her feet. She’s afraid if she files for separation and then leaves he could do something terrible. She wants to leave while he’s at work and file for separation and subsequently divorce once safely in West Virginia. Can she be charged with kidnapping if she leaves the state without his permission? And if so is she restricted to a distance? Or a time frame?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Houser
Amanda Bowden Houser
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You don'r 'file for separation' in NC so you don't have to worry about that. Leaving the state with a child could be a problem but if you are doing so because you legitimately fear for your safety it is doubtful you'd have any real problems especially if he is technically still active duty. One option would be to apply for a domestic violence protective order but that would require that you be able to prove actual abuse. Bottom line it may come down to you simply making a choice and letting the chips fall where they may but you should at least get a consultation with a local attorney first just to go over your options in more detail.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.