Jean, NV asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Nevada

Q: My daughter has resided with me for the past 3 years, what are my rights as a father.

My daughter has stayed with her mother when her mother came around. The first 2 years she only stayed with her mom 3 days or less some times none a month during the 2 years. Recently she has been going with her 3-6 days every other week. I have been trying to keep my daughter from going with her due to she is an alcoholic and recently got into an accident with the child in the car and was driving under the influence. When she does go with her mom i will call and my daughter will answer phone and everyone else is asleep. Id say about everytime she goes with her. My daughter would tell me she wants to come back with me but her mom will force her to stay and wont let me pick her up. When i got her back from her mother this last time she had a bruise on back of her arm and could tell it was bite bark i asked and she said mommy bit her. My daughter doesnt want to stay go with her mom. What can i do as a father?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristofer D. Leavitt
Kristofer D. Leavitt
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Redmond, WA
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: It sounds as if there is no custody arrangement in place (or else custody would be handled by the agreement). You have at least two options. First, you could voluntarily come up with a parenting agreement between you and the mother, but it sounds like finding a mutual agreement is unlikely. Second, you could file formal proceedings with a court where you would ask the court to enter an order defining how custody will be arranged.

Bonnie M Lonardo agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.