Nevada Family Law Questions & Answers

Q: I paid off my entire child support debt, yet my tax return was taken from me.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support, Family Law and Tax Law for Nevada on
Answered on Mar 1, 2018
Linda Simmons Campbell's answer
I would start by contacting the IRS to make sure that your refund was taken for child support. If it was then you will likely need to go back to child support enforcement with proof that the IRS took the refund for child support.

Q: My daughter has resided with me for the past 3 years, what are my rights as a father.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Nevada on
Answered on Jan 26, 2018
Kristofer D. Leavitt's answer
It sounds as if there is no custody arrangement in place (or else custody would be handled by the agreement). You have at least two options. First, you could voluntarily come up with a parenting agreement between you and the mother, but it sounds like finding a mutual agreement is unlikely. Second, you could file formal proceedings with a court where you would ask the court to enter an order defining how custody will be arranged.

Q: How do I get partial custody to have extended periods of time with my child who my wife has taken out of state.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Nevada on
Answered on Jan 26, 2018
Kristofer D. Leavitt's answer
You will need to seek an temporary or permanent order from the judge. You may be able to do this within the legal separation proceedings or you may need to start formal divorce/child custody proceedings.

Q: Where do I get forms for a trustee declination to serve and appointment of successor trustee by resigning trustee?

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Family Law and Probate for Nevada on
Answered on Sep 13, 2017
Delwyn E. Webber's answer
What I typically see is a "Declination" prepared by and signed by the resigning Trustee(s) just stating that they acknowledge they were nominated to serve as Trustees of the "Name" Trust, however they decline to accept that appointment. The form could include language stating that the declining Trustees nominate "XX" to serve, pursuant to the terms of the Trust. Thereafter, the incoming Trustee could sign an acknowledgement, stating that s/he has read and understand the Trust, that s/he...

Q: I lost my deceased moms lawyer number and her settlement was ready for payout for her Baby Powder case. I had to get DC.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Products Liability and Wrongful Death for Nevada on
Answered on Jul 18, 2017
Peter N. Munsing's answer
If an estate was opened there would be a listing of the claim and the attorney. If they told you it was ready likely there were letters in her things about the case. If you know where the case was filed you can check the court dockets.

Q: My daughter is a U.S citizen with down syndrome. I was born in mexico. I've been in the u.s since i was a baby.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law, Family Law, Immigration Law and International Law for Nevada on
Answered on Jan 8, 2016
Shan Dimitris Potts' answer
Depending upon how old you were when you came to the US you may be able to apply for DACA. But the next president of the US has all the power to either continue the DACA program or cancel it. So you need to act quick and apply for DACA as soon as you can. And how old is your daughter?, depending upon her age you may be able to apply for a green card too. You need to talk to an immigration attorney soon. Many immigration attorneys offer free consultations, including me. So i suggest you talk to...

Q: Is the "child support and welfare" form needed if there are not children involved?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Nevada on
Answered on Nov 5, 2015
Terrence H Thorgaard's answer
You should call and ask the clerk of court. Are you saying that Social Security numbers ARE required to be filed in Nevada? That seems strange, because most courts have measures in place to prevent Social Security numbers being available for public access.

Q: a 29 yr old man had a sexual relations with my daughter who got preg. who was 16 can i file charges on him

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Family Law for Nevada on
Answered on Oct 12, 2015
Robert Jason De Groot's answer
Go see a local attorney about this. The age of consent is 16 in Nevada.

Q: My husband and I want a divorce, but still live together, can I get health insurance for my children based on my income?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Nevada on
Answered on Aug 31, 2015
Robert Jason De Groot's answer
Wouldn't it be best to shop for insurance and speak with insurance agents about this? It might be best to stay married rather than get a divorce.

Q: Is there a way to search lawyers case history

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Nevada on
Answered on May 18, 2011
Jonathan Craig Reed's answer
You can Google Clark County Courts and then search by attorneys in the area you are interested in which is District Court and then Family Court. You will get a list of cases a particular attorney participated in. Unfortunately, you will have to go the court house to review these cases. So that would be a very time consuming search.

You might go to and post a "question" asking if any attorney in your county and state has handled similar issues. If you get a response call the...

Q: If an engagement is broken in Nevada, Does the ex-bride need to return the engagement ring?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Nevada on
Answered on Dec 29, 2010
Stacy Rocheleau's answer
The ring is a gift on the condition of marriage. If the couple do not marry then the ring needs to be returned. However, if the couple divorce then the wife would be able to keep the engagement ring.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.