Greenville, SC asked in Consumer Law and Small Claims for South Carolina

Q: I have an outstanding Auto Title Loan in 2007-2008. Original loan was $1,500 which has been paid. Still owe

1000.00 or so. Car hasn't been used in years, really need title, please help!!!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
D. Nathan Davis
D. Nathan Davis
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: You must not have paid the interest on the loan from what I can understand of your question. You can go to the company and offer them something for the title and they may be willing to take that amount. The title company does not have to accept any amount.

Do not make the offer in writing or the debt may be revived. The statute of limitations appears to have run on this debt and you may be able to bring an action to clear the title since the lien is unenforceable.

You really need to sit down with an attorney to give more information so that a plan of action can be worked out.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.