Minot, ND asked in Child Custody for North Dakota

Q: I’m 16 just curious what I do to have my grandma get custody of me?

does She need an attorney or can I go somewhere and just tell them I want to live with her

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nicholas Nelson
Nicholas Nelson
  • Wahpeton, ND
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: A custody determination would have to be made under North Dakota Century Code 14-09. The court may heavily weigh the custody preference of a mature minor child. Your grandma would want to seek an attorney, but is not required. The other option would be to be for you to be emancipated as an adult.

This is general legal information, and I am not able to provide you adequate legal information without first discussing with your the facts and circumstances of your particular situation. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.