Framingham, MA asked in Elder Law and Probate for Massachusetts

Q: mom died, no will. I am only heir lived in house in her name. How do I get the house in my name?

House was in my mother's name, she passed away. I have lived with her my entire life in this house, my father, her only spouse, passed in 92. I am the only child, there is no one else with interest in the home. Mom owed no money to anyone except monthly utilities, one of which is already in both of our names.

Her insurance policy names me as beneficiary, her band account is left in trust to me. Do I need a lawyer to get the house or just to go to probate?

Also, I do not have the insurance paperwork naming as beneficiary because the funeral parlor kept it when I signed the policy over.

Thank you

I am in Lowell not Framingham

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Sorry to hear about your loss. You will likely need to go through probate to get the house titled in your name. You should check with a MA attorney to see if an attorney is needed for probate. Some states require it. Even if your state doesn't require an attorney, an attorney can nonetheless provide a lot of value by helping you through the process. Probate is often procedurally difficult. Best of luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.