Worcester, MA asked in Traffic Tickets and Criminal Law for Massachusetts

Q: Question about getting a ticket for Operation to endanger in M.A

I was driving last night and someone was in front of me on my college campus. The street is divided by a single solid line. The person infront of me was brake checking. So I tried to go around them and then they sped up. So I went back in my lane. Well campus police saw that I was trying to pass someone on the wrong side of the road and pulled me over.

So one cop car pulled behind me. Then 2 more cop cars came.

So they gave me a ticket for operation to endanger which is a criminal offense and I’m freaking out. I told the cop I was trying to get around him.

The cop looked at me gave me a ticket and said I could be arresting you right now but you seam like a good kid. Then he said I have to go to court and he’s going to give a recommendation to throw out the ticket. What should I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ismail Mohammed
Ismail Mohammed
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Boston, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: You will be summonsed to appear in court. Hopefully it will be for a clerk magistrates hearing. If it is, then with the assistance of an attorney, you may be able to have the case dismissed before. A clerk magistrates hearing will determine if there is probable cause to charge you with a crime.

If it bypasses a clerk magistrate hearing, you will be summonsed to appear in front of judge at which point you will be formally charged with a committing a crime. Again, with the help of an attorney, the district attorney may dismiss the charges prior to arraignment.

Get an attorney before doing anything. Best of luck with everything.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.