Titusville, FL asked in Landlord - Tenant for Florida

Q: Can the landlord interfere with my private life or my girlfriends private life for no reason?

I rent alone and she comes over often, we never act out and tried to help where we could and the landlord went digging into our lives and is disrupting the peace because he questioned her neighbor (friend of his apparently, who told him she was married) and found a 3 year old application to marry on public record. He is now being irate and taking retalitory action by threatening the agreement and scattering food about the yard where I walk, claiming that he is just "feeding the critters" which includes the roach I found on the food scraps. I am afraid that he may withold my security deposit as well and I cant find any information regarding the landlords right to retake the deposit. Please help?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jennifer Mantoni
Jennifer Mantoni
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Port Charlotte, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If the behavior doesn’t stop you’ll need to hire a lawyer to put him on notice that his behavior is in violation of Florida law. If he threatens you or your girlfriend in any way call the police. Florida law does not permit him to simply withhold your deposit- he must have a valid reason to do so. Nothing in what you stated above would justify him keeping your deposit.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.